Instagram isn’t just for retail and highly visual businesses. If you own a service-based business in northern Michigan, there are lots of opportunities on Instagram for promoting your services and sharing your expertise.
Switch Your Instagram Profile to Business
By switching from a personal profile to a business profile, you will now have access to profile analytics and a more advanced profile.
Your profile name is your business name first. You can also include what you do. My Instagram profile name is Abuzz Creative – Web Design.
Add Your Contact Details
When you add contact information, a Contact button appears near the top of your profile. This button gives people an easy way to email or call your business with one quick click.
Make Strategic Use of Your Bio Link
You get one clickable link in your Instagram bio, so make the most of it and change it frequently.
- Send people to a landing page.
- Link to an event page.
- Update your link to showcase services you’re promoting.
You can also use an app like Tailwind to create a landing page with multiple links.
Highlight Your Services in Action
- Tell stories to connect with your audience.
- Showcase reviews from your clients.
- Create before and after photo posts showing how you solved a problem for a client.
- Use Instagram Reels for sharing short 15-second videos.
Hashtags and Locations
Adding hashtags to your Instagram posts makes it easier for people to find your content. Instead of just hoping we find you, hashtags help you reach people that are looking for you.
- Use hashtags in your captions. This makes it easier for people to find you when searching for your area of expertise.
- Tag a location in your posts. This makes it easier for people to find you when searching for businesses in your area.
- Make sure your hashtags are relevant to the services you provide and the keywords people would use to find you in a search. You can use up to 30 hashtags in a post.
- Tag your own business location and your business profile in your posts.
Humanize Your Posts
Tell stories with engaging videos and images so people can get to know the real you. We love to do business with people we know, like and trust.
What type of Instagram account should I be using?
Personal Instagram profiles are just that – personal. You can share fun things that are more personal in nature, like photos of your kids and dogs and cats! For your northern Michigan business, you need to switch to a Professional Instagram profile. This account is for retailers, local business owners, organizations, and service providers. Followers will expect posts that are more professional and educational in nature, and that showcase your brand.