Social media is about building relationships and being social with people. Don’t focus so much on follower numbers since a follower doesn’t always equal a customer.
On social media, your follower count is just a vanity metric. It’s better to have 500 followers who regularly engage with you than 5,000 followers that ignore you.
Be a Real Person Who Has a Brand
On social media, you need to show up as a person who also happens to have a brand.
Remember, we connect with people we know and like.
By sharing what matters to you most in your posts, we can connect with you on a more personal level.
- Do you have a dog in your office? Show photos and make them a character in your story!
- Does coffee power your day? If so, share your favorite brand and tag the company!
- Do you have a favorite place to shop? Tag the business so we can shop there, too!
Now you’re opening yourself up to more conversations which helps you build genuine relationships.
By tagging a business, that mention will get you more attention.
Mentions Help Build Relationships
Social media marketing is about being social with real people.
You can talk directly to customers and followers. Tagging people with a @mention helps get their attention or continues the conversation they started.
- Always tag people you reference in your social posts. She’s @marciewolf27
- Reply when people mention you or share your content. From @abuzzcreative
- Reply to someone’s comments with a mention. Hey @michigannaturegirl
Be the Brand That’s Always There
Show up on a regular basis to interact, connect, and answer questions.
By connecting with people that are most interested in your services, you can build relationships over time, instead of asking for a sale upfront.
Should I buy followers to increase my follower numbers?
No, never buy Facebook or Instagram followers. All you are buying is a number. You are buying bots or inactive accounts. These purchased followers will not be engaging with you and they will not become customers. Do not test this advice, either. You will risk losing your account. Focus on connecting with real people who will engage with your posts.