If you have a local business and you want to attract more local clients, a great way to do that is by being active on Instagram as your business.
Marketing strategies that target your local community might be a top priority for your local business, and Instagram is a great place to connect with customers near you.
Instagram has become one of the most popular social media platforms. People choose to spend more time on Instagram because it offers a positive social experience.
By always including location tags and hashtags for your area in your posts, you can target local businesses easier. Make sure you’re set up as a business profile on Instagram so you can get more features and Insights.
Create a Separate Instagram Profile for Your Business
I recommend that you create an Instagram Business Profile that is separate from your personal profile. A separate Instagram profile will help you keep work and play separate.
- You can use paid promotions to help sell your services.
- You will have great Insights to see how your Business profile is performing.
With a Business Profile, you’re building a great business asset. If you plan to sell your business or merge with another company, your business profile will be a benefit to buyers or partners.
Design a Winning Instagram Profile
- Add a high quality version of your logo that reflects your brand and will fit into Instagram’s circle format.
- Use your business name for your profile name. Don’t stuff keywords here. How many other profiles are on Instagram using your same keywords as their profile? This should be your business name.
- It is OK, however, to add a keyword after your profile name. For example, my profile is Abuzz Creative – Web Design which highlights my main service.
- Write a great description with an overview of what you do. You can add hashtags to keywords here.
- You only get one link in your profile. You can use a multi-linking tool like Tailwind App or Linktree to add more links to your profile.
Post High Quality Visuals
You need to create thumb-stopping posts! You want to get people to stop scrolling to read your caption, and you can do that with great visual content.
- Share beautiful photos of your office and location, fun images of your staff, and photos from events you hosted or helped organize.
- Create eye-catching graphics with text overlays that are easy to read on small devices.
- Upload engaging videos that are short and engaging. Make sure you get to the point in the first 5 seconds or you will lose video viewers.
- Use Instagram Reels – people love these quick videos! Shoot a 15-second live video or upload one you’ve produced and edited. For more local attention, shoot a live Instagram Reel while you’re out and about.
Use Relevant Hashtags on Instagram Posts
Hashtags are a key discovery tool on Instagram so use them wisely. We follow hashtags, especially location hashtags, so you can be seen people who aren’t following you – yet.
- Add hashtags to each post you create. Use hashtags that relate to each post to increase your visibility and reach.
- Instagram advises only using 3-5 highly relevant tags for the best results. You can still get good results with up to 11 hashtags.
- Do not copy the same hashtags onto each post! Instagram will penalize your account if you keep using the same hashtags over and over in each and every post. Use the most relevant hashtags, and in moderation.
- Add location hashtags – #petoskey #harborsprings #northernmichigan
Always Tag Your Location
Your goal is to get in front of people in your area so tag where you are in each post.
- Tag your business location if you’re posting about your company or staff.
- Tag places you volunteer, dine, shop, or play so locals have a better chance of seeing your posts.
Today’s digital marketing is all about the human experience. Focus on the people who follow you. Listen to them and engage with them. Share stories that matter to them.
By being engaged as your Northern Michigan business, you can grow an authentic community of your own on your Business Profile.